Lochs source list
Unless otherwise stated, the following archive collections are held in Stornoway and made accessible through the archive service currently based at Stornoway Library. From autumn 2015, the archive service will be based in the new Museum & Archive at the Lews Castle site.
This guide is not exhaustive and it’s worth checking our online catalogue for further resources.
Established in 1845, Parishes (or Parochial Boards as they started out) were responsible for raising and administering poor relief and gradually took on other duties such as graveyards, footpaths and water supply. Parish Councils were abolished in 1930. From 1894, the area around Carloway transferred to Uig Parish Council.
- Minutes 1910-1928; applications for parochial relief 1917-1929; general registers of the poor 1890-1930
Lewis Public Assistance Joint Committee (1930-1975) (ref. RC5/5)
This committee took on many of the rolls of the former Parish Councils on Lewis with regard to aiding the poor.
- Applications for relief 1930-1948; transitional payments 1937-1975
Lewis District Committee (1890-1930) (ref. RC2/1)
The District Committee was established in 1890, undertaking functions on behalf of Ross & Cromarty County Council. This included roads, bridges, amenities and nursing that fell outwith the Parish Council’s remit. The Committee was abolished in 1930.
- Minutes 1890-1930
Lewis District Council (1930-1974) (ref. RC6)
Lewis District Council was established in 1930 to serve as local agents for Ross & Cromarty County Council. Responsibilities included public health, nursing, housing, roads, harbours, water supply and drainage but excluded police and education. It was abolished in 1975 with its powers transferring to the newly formed Comhairle nan Eilean.
- Minutes 1930-1974; abstract of accounts 1956-1972; account books 1915-1969; cash books 1949-1974; Lewis District Council cash book 1960-1963; scroll cash books 1956-1970; postage book 1951-1958; parish of Lochs valuation roll 1948-1949; parishes of Stornoway, Barvas, Lochs and Uig valuation rolls 1958-1959
Lewis Combination Poorhouse / Coulregrein House (1893-1970) (ref RC5/6)
The poorhouse was situated on the outskirts of Stornoway and was originally operated jointly by the four Parish Councils on Lewis.
- Minute books 1893-1970; letter books 1914-1933; cash books 1953-1968; visiting committee reports 1926-1962; garden records 1941-1967
NB: Records containing personal data are generally closed to public access for 100 years. Please ask for further information.
Lochs School Board (1873-1919) (ref. RC4/4)
Lochs School Board was established in 1873 to manage schooling in the area. It was responsible for building and maintaining schools, staffing and curriculum matters as dictated by the government. Its powers transferred to Lewis District Education Sub-Committee in 1919.
- Minutes 1873-1919
Lewis District Education Sub-Committee (1919-1975) (ref. RC4/1)
The committee was formed in 1919 by the amalgamation of the various Lewis school boards. Its powers passed to Comhairle nan Eilean in 1975.
- Minutes 1919-1975
Records of individual schools:
- Log books 1893-1952
- Held by Kinloch Historical Society: Admission registers; log books 1879-2002; daily attendance registers 1979-2000; syllabus of religious education 1963
- Log books 1879-1973
- Log books 1879-1999; attendance registers 1944, 1956, 1961, 1966, 1971,1976, 1981, 1986, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1999; certificates of attendance 1933-1986
- Admission register 1909-1926
- Log books 1893-1963
- Log book 1895-1916
- Held by Kinloch Historical Society: Admission registers 1897-2000; log books 1968-2001; anti school closure campaign records 1984
- Log books 1881-1978
- Admission registers 1889-1992; log books 1979-1989; daily attendance registers 1993-2001; library loans book 1905-1935; Leurbost School Club papers 1966-1980
- Admission register 1903-1956; log books 1880-1973
Iolaire Disaster Fund (1919-1938) (ref. GD8)
Set up following the Iolaire disaster of 1 January 1919 by the Lewis District Committee and the Burgh of Stornoway, the fund provided assistance to the widows and families of the deceased.
- Administrative records 1919-1938, applications for assistance 1919, letter books 1919-1932, correspondence 1925-1938, financial records 1919-1938
North Lochs Historical Society http://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Lochs-Historical-Society
North Lochs are an active group but do operate premises. They have a great knowledge of the area. Catch up with them on their facebook page.
Kinloch Historical Soicety, Balallan School http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kinloch-Historical-Society
Kinloch operate a public museum and archive from the former Balallan School. Many of their croft histories and archives are available on www.hebrideanconnections.com.
Pairc Histroical Society, Ravenspoint, Kershader http://www.cepairc.com/
Comann Eachdraidh na Pairc operate their public museum and archive from the Ravenspoint Centre in Kershader. They also have contributed many croft histories, archives and stories to www.hebrideanconnections.com.
Hebridean Connections www.hebrideanconnections.com
This website contains searchable genealogies, croft histories, images, stories and a wealth of other information provided by the historical societies of Bernera, Berneray, Kinloch, Pairc and Uig and is currently expanding to include other organisations. A marvellous resource!
Angus Macleod Archive, Ravenspoint, Kershader http://www.angusmacleodarchive.org.uk
Angus ‘Ease’ Macleod was a weaver, entrepreneur and historian. His personal archive records the history of Lewis, the land struggles and particularly his home area of Pairc.
National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh www.nrsscotland.gov.uk
As well as government records it holds the Mackenzie of Seaforth papers who owned Lewis from 1610-1844 and notably the Presbytery records for Lewis. They jointly manage the genealogy site www.ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk
Highland Archives, Bught Road, Inverness http://www.highlandarchives.org.uk
The archive centre in Inverness holds many records relating to Lewis, notably the records of Ross & Cromarty County Council (1890-1975) and its predecessors.