tasglann

Berneray Historical Society

 

Nurses Cottage, Berneray Historical Society

About

Berneray Historical Society is based in The Nurse’s Cottage on the island. The building is open during the summer for people to come and view the permanent and temporary exhibitions.

The collections have been expanded and added to through a series of notable projects.  Dileab Bheàrnaraigh was a two year project (2008-2010) during which its collection of local photographs and artefacts were expanded and digitised.  Guthan Bheàrnaraigh (Berneray Voices) was an oral history project that collected many Gaelic songs relating to the island and to promote the learning of Gaelic.  A' tilleadh ar n-eachdraidh dhachaigh (Bringing Our History Home) is collecting information and archive material relating to the island diaspora. This project will culminate with a publication and a conference to be held in Berneray Community Hall on 3 August 2012.

Archive collections

Berneray Historical Society contributed data to Hebridean Connections and much of the Society’s genealogical data, archive material and artefacts have been digitised and are available through the website.

  • Photographs
  • Genealogies / Croft histories
  • Berneray School admission registers 1838-1940 (photocopies)

  • Land raids letter 1921

Contacts

Museum/archive address

The Nurse's Cottage, Backhill, Berneray, HS6 5BD

Opening times

June - August 11am - 3pm. Other times by arrangement.

Contact

Andrew Ross, Secretary

Telephone

01851 525001

Email

andrew@mediaservices.eu.com

Website

http://www.isleofberneray.com/

Geographic coverage Island of Berneray (Sound of Harris)

 

 

Leave a comment