tasglann

Barra & Vatersay Historical Society

Sign to Barra and Vatersay Historical Society

About

Barra & Vatersay Historical Society was established in 1995 to preserve and promote the heritage of Barra, Vatersay and the smaller islands to the south known as the Bishop’s Isles.  The Society collects artefacts, archives, photographs and information relating to these islands and has a programme of exhibitions and displays in its registered museum in Castlebay.

Archive collections

  • Photograph collection
  • Subject files on local topics
  • Records of Castlebay School, 1940-1962 (excluding log books and admission registers)
  • Admission registers, attendance registers and log books for Craigston School, 1875-2002
  • Daily registers, admissions register and Headteacher’s correspondence for Grean school, 1910-1999
  • Admissions register for Mingulay School, 1889-1894
  • Admission register for Vatersay School, 1910-1928
  • D MacAulay Co-op Cash Book, 1920-1921
  • Northern Lighthouse Board records, 1896-1933

Contacts

Museum/archive address

Dualchas, Barra Heritage Centre, Castlebay, Barra, HS9 5XD

Opening times

See website

Telephone

01871 810413

Email

barraheritage@btconnect.com

Website http://www.barraheritage.com

Geographic coverage

Islands of Barra, Vatersay, Sandray, Pabbay, Mingulay, Berneray

 

 

 

Leave a comment